Position Title: Children’s Coordinator, Full-time (40 Hours)
State Certification Requirement: LC6
Supervisor: Library Director
Position promotes literacy to Batesville youth birth to 8th grade and provides leadership and guidance to the youth services staff
POSITION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Developing and providing children’s programs
- Developing relationships & coordinating w/ community partners
- Collection development of children’s materials including selection, ordering & weeding
- Developing and overseeing the Summer Reading Program
- Overseeing staff responsible for children’s programming
- Promote the library, its programs and services
- Decorating the children’s room, keeping the room well maintained and clean
- Attends pertinent meetings and training workshops
- General circulation desk duties as needed
- Works evening and weekend hours as scheduled
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience:
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Education or
- Master’s degree in Library Science
- Experience working with children and families
- Library Experience is preferred but not required
- Must obtain certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required to perform each duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Customer Service – Provides prompt, attentive, and friendly customer service in-person and by phone; represents the organization well; maintains personal accountability and ownership for providing excellent customer service; seeks and responds to feedback from patrons to improve service; meets commitments; shows willingness to go out of their way to help patrons.
• Teamwork – Cooperates and works together with all co-workers; plans and completes job duties with minimal supervisory direction, including good decision making; collaborates with and supports coworkers by helping out where needed; creates and maintains positive relationships with coworkers; asks for and listens to coworker feedback and incorporates feedback into revised processes; completes work on time and with proper quality; supports cross-training and shares learning with others; understands we are all stewards of the taxpayers.
• Communication and Media – Communicates ideas and thoughts clearly, accurately, and respectfully; listens to others and seeks to understand others’ perspectives; has knowledge of communication techniques and methods, including alternative ways to inform and educate using electronic media, including, but not limited to: email, Internet, and social media sites; demonstrates proficient use of the English language.
• Adaptability – Willingness to take on new challenges and responsibilities; open to change and variety within the workplace; works hard to implement successful change in areas of responsibility; recommends and implements changes to improve processes and customer service.
• Image – Portrays a positive image of Library; is a strong public ambassador and promotes Library programs and services during customer interactions; promotes Library mission and complies with Library policies.
• Technical – Proficiency in using computers and related software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee frequently is required to:
o Stand, walk, and sit
o Use hands and fingers to handle books, paper, and technology
o Speak and listen to others
o See and read
o Reach with hands and arms
o Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
• The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• The employee must frequently push, pull, and maneuver full book carts.
This is a full-time position. 40hrs/week.
Benefits: Health Insurance and Retirement Plan
Salary range - $40,000 - $45,000 based on experience.
**Employees are expected to perform other related duties as assigned which are necessary for the efficient operation of the library that may not be in this summary.